Portland offers a lot of choices when considering where to listen to live music, shop, eat, and enjoy art. The music scene offers large, medium and small venues throughout the Willamette Valley. Portland is home to an impressive number of diverse restaurants at varying price ranges. Art can be viewed and purchased from reputed local, national, and world artists at the various galleries, museums and markets in Portland. As with many metropolitan areas there is a plethora of choices when one chooses to go shopping. The following information is intended to guide the student but is by no means a comprehensive list.
Portland has a lively and rich music scene. It is easy to find live classical, jazz, country, blue grass, blues, and rock music throughout the city. Seeing live music is relatively inexpensive and there are several indoor and outdoor venues that are easy to get to. Live music is advertised in various newspapers including the Friday edition of the Oregonian, the Willamette Week and the Mercury. Several websites also advertise live music which includes the McMenamin Breweries, the Oregon Zoo, and the Arlene Schnitzer Hall.
Portland has numerous art galleries each reflecting the personality of the various neighborhoods in which they are located. Two monthly art events which take place are called First Thursday and Last Thursday. First Thursday, occurring the first Thursday of every month, is an event when downtown galleries, restaurants, and café's unveil local artists' new exhibitions. The majority of venues stay open later than usual allowing viewers to attend numerous gallery openings. Last Thursday, occurring the last Thursday of every month, takes place on Alberta Street in the Northeast Arts district. Southwest Portland is home to the Portland Art Museum. In addition to world-class traveling exhibitions, the Portland Art Museum also has extensive collections of Native American art, Asian art, and contemporary art. The Portland Art Museum is a favorite place for many to enjoy peace and serenity in the middle of the city. As a student you can receive a discount on admission.
Powell's City of Books - The largest bookstore in the country. Powell's was started by a father and son team who decided to sell used and new books under one roof. This is a great place to sell and buy used textbooks. - 1005 W. Burnside St.
Specialty Grocery Stores
- African International Food Market - 1910 N Killingsworth - 503.283.8585
- Indian Food World - 10195 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy. - 503.350.3966
- Mediterranean Market - 12070 SW Allen Blvd - 503.520.1850
- New Seasons - A local grocery chain which specializes in organic and local foods with various locations throughout the Portland area. 6400 N Interstate Ave.
- Uwajimaya - A large and comprehensive Asian grocery store in Portland which also contains a Japanese book store. - 10500 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy.
- Ya Hala Middle Eastern Grocer - A restaurant is also connected to this small grocery store. - 8005 SE Stark St.
Gifts and Souvenirs
- The Real Mother Goose - This store carries fine woodworking, art glass, jewelry, pottery, and other art work from craftsmen across America. - 901 SW Yamhill Street
- Made in Oregon - Specialty foods, spirits, and crafts handmade in the Northwest. Downtown Galleria - 921 SW Morrison St. & Lloyd Center Mall - 1028 Lloyd Center
- N. Alberta St. - local designer boutiques, art, and eclectic stores
- SE. Hawthorne St. & Belmont - used clothing, hippy, and eclectic
- NW 23rd & 21st - designer boutiques, chain stores (i.e., Urban Outfitters, Pottery Barn)
- Pearl District - exclusive boutiques, jewelry, and art
These are a few suggestions of restaurants around the Portland area. For further information visit Citysearch.com.
North Portland - close by the campus
- Kokiyo Teriyaki - 8537 N Lombard St. 503.283.3434
- Mio Sushi - 2735 N Killingsworth St. 503.286.5123
- Thai Ginger - 2020 N Portland St. 503.283.9731 (a good place for lunch)
Breakfast, Bakeries, & Coffeehouses
- John's Street Café - 8338 N Lombard St. 503.247.1066 (open breakfast & lunch)
- Madrona Hill Bakery - 5937 N Greeley Ave. 503.289.7617 (excellent baked goods & sandwiches)
- North Star Coffeehouse - 7540 N Interstate Ave. 503.285.5800
- Anna Banana's - 8716 North Lombard Street 503.286.2030
- Louie's Pizza and Catering - 4940 N Lombard St. 503.289.1117 (within walking distance from campus)
- Di Prima Dolci - 1936 N Killingsworth St. 503.283.5936
- St. John's Pub - 8203 N Lombard St. 503.283.8520 (brewery, pub food, & small movie theatre)
- Pause - 5101 North Interstate Avenue 971.230.0705 (local and season Northwest menu with local beer and wine selection)
- Tin Shed & Garden Café - 1438 NE Alberta St. 503.288.6966 (excellent breakfast & lunch)
- Vita Café - 3024 NE Alberta St. 503.335.8233 (vegetarian & vegan fare)
North / Northeast Portland
- Mississippi Pizza Pub - 3552 N Mississippi Ave. 503.288.3231
- Gravy - 3957 N Mississippi Ave. 503.287.8800
- Nicholas Restaurant - 318 SE Grand 503.235.5123 (good & inexpensive)
- Murata - 200 SW Market St. 503.227.0088
- Sinju Restaurant - 1022 NW Johnson St. 503.223.6535
- Portland City Grill - 111 SW 5th Ave. 30th floor 503.450.0030 (incredible view of city with piano bar & dining room
- Caffé Mingo - 807 NW 21st 503.226.4646 (fine dining restaurant)
- Justa Pasta - 1326 NW 19th 503.229.0646 (inexpensive & good)
- Swagat Indian Cuisine - 2074 NW Lovejoy St. 503.227.4300
- Bewon - 1203 NW 23rd Ave. 503.464.9222
- Typhoon - 2310 NW Everett 503.243.7557
- Besaw's - 2301 NW Savier St. 503.228.2619
- Muu Muu's - 612 NW 21st 503.223.8169
- Papa Haydn - 701 NW 23rd 503.228.7317